Wednesday, October 23, 2013

What's Next?

I've spent the last few weeks wondering what to do now that I've finished my first marathon.  I have no running schedule to keep. It feels...weird.

During my marathon I told myself, "NEVER AGAIN!"  After my marathon I asked myself, "When can I do the next one?"

I waited about a week and a half to run again.  I figured I would go to the gym and just do a couple of easy miles on the treadmill.  I started to run on the random setting.  I felt very stiff and slow.  After about half a mile I stopped running and reset the treadmill program to no incline.  I walked a bit before giving another go at running.  I made myself go to a mile before quitting again.  I couldn't push myself any faster than a 13 min/mile, which was pretty discouraging. I left the gym with a pretty low ego.  I mean, I had just ran 26.2 miles!  How could I not even get to 2?

I tried running again today.  It was a beautiful fall day - sunny and chilly. I told myself to just take it easy, no pressure, if I have to walk a little that's fine.

Right before I started running again. I love fall!

I took off.  I glanced at my watch, because I was a little out of breath, and was only at about a 13 min/mile.  I felt a little disheartened again, but just kept going.  After just over a mile I decided to take a walk break.  I walked for about half a mile.

I knew I could run the rest of the 1.5 miles home.  I put my favorite song on repeat, Daddy Yankee's Limbo, and just took off.  I felt good.  I was starting to get a little out of breath again and saw that I was at a 10:30 pace.  I slowed down a little and felt comfortable at about an 11:00 pace.  It felt good to finish strong!

Tried out my new BAMR band.  It worked awesome!

But, now what?  It's hard for me to work out without some kind of plan to follow.  I need some kind of race to work towards.  I'm going to have to use the next couple of days to figure out what I want to do.

How long do you wait to run after your marathon?  Do you always follow a  training plan or just work out for fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment