Sunday, April 13, 2014

Change is a Process

I've had a long hiatus from running. Jomo really hasn't been running all that much since the marathon in October.  I didn't realize how much those 26.2 miles took out of me, physically and emotionally.  I was completely empty of any desire to do any activity...unless you count snacking on the couch cardio.

Sometimes

I recently started running again.  I started the Couch to 5k program, because I can't just run for fun.  I have to have a program to follow.  I use the free app right on my phone so I don't even have to think about when to run or walk. The nice lady just tells me, "Run now" or "walk now". I don't even wear my Garmin. I need a break from being obsessed with time. I just want to enjoy being out there again.  I finished week 2 today.

The app I use

I've also been trying different exercises. I've found a love for Zumba. I've always enjoyed it, but there is a class on Tuesday nights that is just SO fun. I rearranged my work schedule just so I could go to it! I can't believe how much I sweat and how many muscles I can feel working!

During my 6 month running hiatus, I have also gained 20 lbs.  It's pretty depressing, but I just kept eating like I was training for a marathon when I was doing little to no activity.  Now I am trying to work it back off.

I did Weight Watchers for 3 months.  I signed up on my birthday, Dec. 30, after wanting to make a change with my eating habits.  There was a 3 month deal for only $18, so I figured why not?

I lost a couple of pounds, but ended up gaining another 5.  I just couldn't get into it again (I had done it years ago and lost 50 lbs).  So, at the end of the 3 months I cancelled it and started using the free program, myfitnesspal, again.  I deleted my old account and made a new one - sort of like a fresh start for myself. I'm jnmolina if you want to "friend" me.  I have managed to lose 5 lbs so far.

Wanting to change and actually doing it is so hard for me. I'm trying not to make too many changes at once so I don't become overwhelmed. I'm also trying not to put too much pressure on myself to work out.  I become sort of obsessed with it.  That's why I'm not bringing my Garmin on runs or even keeping track of my miles so I don't become obsessed with the numbers.  

Change is a process

I'm planning races again too.  I haven't done any in 6 months. I just did a 5k yesterday and walked it with 2 friends. It was pretty fun, even though it started raining down on us right after mile one!  I have a few more I'd like to do: an 80's themed 5k in June, the Iron Girl in August, and a half marathon in September.  It feels good to finally be looking forward to working out again!

What is your favorite form of exercise?  


No comments:

Post a Comment