Wednesday, July 31, 2013

July Totals, August Goals and Sweet Potato Fries Recipe

It's the end of the month! I feel like June dragged on and July flew by!  Here are my July totals:

Notice there's no swimming?  I did.  I decided to skip the tri I wanted to do in 11 days since I am absolutely not prepared at all.  I just couldn't get a balance going between marathon training and working (and laying on the couch watching T.V).

I use to register for all of my races in January so I would, a) get a cheaper price and b) have time to plan and prepare.  I think that is what I will do next year.  That way I won't be trying to squeeze in all these other races and workouts that don't really fit in.  And maybe I'll have a new bike by then, eh??

Onto August goals.

While I was cleansing, I felt really good after a couple of days.  I lost a ton of weight and my runs felt really good.  I told myself I would eat healthy after the 10 days were finished, but it has been a bigger struggle than I thought it would be.  I've just been lazy and have had junk food in the house to munch on, which I didn't during my cleanse.

My husband is trying to eat healthier as well, so I think it's a great time to try and stick to clean eating.  So, my first goal is

1) Don't eat out (unless it's something without processed foods) and eat as clean as possible (minus running nutrition).  I've tried to make my own gu twice before, the second time was just last week.  Neither time turned out well.  So, I think I've accepted the fact that I just have to buy them for the best results.

My favorite things to eat during my cleanse were the easiest to make.  A recipe to curb my salty potato chip/french fry craving used a sweet potato.

Sweet Potato French Fries Recipe

1 sweet potato, peeled and cut in thin circles
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
.5 tsp chili powder
.5 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste



Preheat oven to 400.  Combine EVOO, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and whisk until combined.  Put sliced sweet potatoes in a large zip lock bag and pour EVOO mixture over sweet potatoes.  Seal bag and move potatoes around in the bag until they are covered with the EVOO mixture.
Take a 13x9 cookie sheet and cover with aluminum foil.  Spray nonstick cooking spray onto it.  Pour sweet potatoes onto aluminum foil and spread evenly over the cookie sheet.
Bake for 20-30 minutes, flipping once halfway through.  I like mine very crunchy - almost burnt - so I cooked mine for about 30 minutes.

 2) Stick to my running plan!  I am following Hal Higdon's Marathon Novice 1 program for my first marathon in October.  I know it will be here before I know it.  I want to make sure I'm ready and I don't go into the race wishing I had done more.

3) Lose at least 5 lbs by August 31.  I think that's a very conservative and realistic goal.  I would like to be down at least ten more lbs by my race in October.  I think it will help with my endurance and speed to make me a better runner.

Hopefully all of these goals will work together and I will end up with a very successful August!

Do you have any goals for August?  What are they?

No comments:

Post a Comment