Thursday, August 1, 2013

Tuna Avocado Salad and a Whole Lot of Fruit

Today, I went fruit and veggie shopping so I would be well equipped to handle my healthy eating goal for August.

I love going to Aldi.  They have such amazing prices on fruits and veggies and let me tell you, when you're a vegetarian (most of the time) you go through a lot of that stuff.

I ended up spending about $30 dollars and here's what I ended up with


1) 2 lbs bananas
2) 3 avocados
3) 4 cantalopes
4) 4 pints blueberries
5) 2 lbs strawberries
6) 2 tomatoes
7) 4 nectarines
8) 4 mangos
9) 4 lbs grapes
10) Sweet peppers
11) 1 lb of broccoli crowns
12) 3 sweet potatoes
13) 3 bulbs garlic
14) 3 pack of multi colored peppers
15) Whole wheat bread
16) 4 cans tuna




When I got home, I cut up the peppers, and half of the strawberries and threw them in the freezer and put half of the blueberries in the freezer right away.

For supper, I made an amazing combination that I threw together.  I call it Tuna Avocado Salad.

Recipe
1/2 avocado
2 oz can of light tuna in water, drained
1 Tbsp onion, diced
1 clove garlic, diced
1/4 large tomato, chopped in cubes
2 Tbsp cilantro
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl.  4 servings at 1/4 cup each.   I put mine on corn tortillas.  It was SO good!  It would have been even better if my avocado were a little riper.

What did you have for supper?  Do you ever make up your own recipes?


No comments:

Post a Comment