Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Sweet Pepper and Barley Soup Recipe

Today, I had a 7 mile run to do.  I was determined to get it done, but I took a while to get going.  I finally hit the pavement at 1:30.  I thought the run would go well...for some reason.  It was a tough one.  It was hotter and more humid than I thought and I was drinking more water than I planned.  I was taking it slow though, with my miles between 12:30 and 13:00.

I did a simple out and back; run 3.5 out turn around and run back.  By mile 4, I took a walk break.  I was so hot and thirsty.  After a couple of minutes, I started running again.  I walked two more times by mile 7.  I had saved about 5 oz of water for after my run.  It was hot, yet delicious.  I need to remember to just keep a couple of dollars in my fuel belt so if this happens again I can just stop somewhere and buy some water!



After that, I ran another 2 miles with my friend Melissa who is starting the Couch to 5k.  I offered to go with her for some support.  It's always easier with a friend!  And we would have to push 2 strollers for her 3 little kiddies.  We ended up only needing one, because the third stayed home with his Grandma to sleep.

I have to say, moms who run with strollers get a lot of respect from me.  I don't think I could do that with one, much less 3 kids to push!

I also made some soup today.  I've had a craving for some lately.  Maybe it's the cooler weather we've been having.

Sweet Pepper and Barley Soup

2 c. chopped sweet peppers
2 c. cauliflower, chopped into pieces
2 c. kale, ripped into smaller pieces
1 c. barley
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic
3 c. vegetable broth
5 c. water
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper



Heat a soup pot over medium heat. Pour in the EVOO.  After about a minute, add the onion and garlic.  Let them cook for about a minute, until softened.  Add the sweet peppers and cover.  Cook for about 3 minutes, or until they've softened up a bit.  Add the cauliflower, barley, vegetable broth, salt, and pepper.  Bring the soup to a bowl.  Then lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes.  Add the kale and simmer for another 10 minutes. Enjoy!

Do you eat soup in the summer?  What's your favorite kind?  
Do you run with a stroller?  

No comments:

Post a Comment